overview


We have been using our Form2 more frequently for prototyping and research, but our curing solution was a bit rough. We had the standard DIY solution of a cardboard box, UV LEDs, and aluminium foil lining. I decided to go ahead a make a better design that had better lighting and coverage. I thought I'd share a bit of the process as well as the design files in case anyone wanted to make their own.

parts needed


I wanted the cure box to have a power switch and a fan, so instead of building that all myself, I just bought a nail lamp that had the features I needed. I found one that included a fan as well as a timer and power switches. Once it came in the mail, I disassembled it to get to the bulbs and circuit boards.

The only other items I bought were a small hobby DC motor and controller to use for a rotating platform. I also purchased a power adapter mount to plug in cleanly from the back of the cure box. Everything else was 3D printed or material I bought from the local hardware store.

design


Once I opened up the nail lamp and had the parts, I measured everything to translate them into CAD models. This work included housings for all the individual UV bulbs, the two circuit boards, and the fan. I also designed a 3D printed mount to house the DC motor and even a piece to mount the platform to the motor. All this work was done in Solidworks.

After I had those parts, I started building out the box itself. I used baltic birch plywood for the box frame and mirrored acrylic (gold mirrors because I'm classy) to line the inside of the box. We have a CNC and laser cutter, so I made the box frame on the CNC and cut all the acrylic with the laser cutter. Typically, I like to spend more time working digitally so that when I assemble everything goes together quite quickly. I machined in pockets for all the 3D printed parts, the fan, and the bottom to make life easier.

FINAL CURE BOX


Once I had all the parts made, I started assembly. I built the box first and gave it a quick coat of polyurethane. Once that had dried, I began wiring everything up and mounting all the bulbs, the fan, and the motor. With those in place, I dropped in the mirrored acrylic. All that was left was to attach the front control plate and buttons, and it was good to go.

design files


Below is a link to all the design files for anyone who wants to build this. This box does require a CNC, but you could easily modify the box frame however you want and still use the rest of the files. Overall we are getting much better results from this design, it is easier to use with multiple parts, and it is also much easier to clean and maintain.